Eating out means you cannot choose and cook the food yourself. This may hide some risks, such as consummation of fatty food, lots of salt and sugar, eating food that is not prepared in a healthy way.
It is a common belief that since you pay at a restaurant, you should eat large portions of food. However, we should be careful how much we eat and what we eat. We should not forget that we can eat healthy even when we are out.
If you want to have a healthy meal at the restaurant, the following tips for food that you should go for may be useful to you:
– choose grilled, steamed, boiled, or stir-fried dishes
– eat skinless chicken, lean meats (ham or beef), fish, lentils and beans
– use wholemeal, granary, brown, seedy, bagels and currant buns bread
– order sauces made of tomatoes or vegetables
– choose fruit and fruit salads instead of sweet desserts
– consume vegetables and salads plain or put the sauces and dressings yourself
– eat dry curries
– choose steamed or boiled rice
– use baked or boiled potatoes
Following these recommendations will ensure that you consume healthy food even when you eat at restaurants. If you limit your choices up to the above mentioned foods and products, you will eat limited amounts of fats, salt and sugar. You will also provide all necessary nutrition to your body.
One thin you should keep in mind is that paying the food in a restaurant doesn’t mean you should empty your dish even if you are full.