- 1 cup higher-fiber cold cereal (like bite-size shredded wheat or low-fat granola)
- 1/2 cup vanilla soymilk (like Silk brand)
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon toasted almonds (sliced, slivered or chopped)
- Add the cold cereal to a bowl. Pour in vanilla soymilk.
- Sprinkle blueberries and almonds over the top. Enjoy!
per serving: 320 calories, 11 g protein, 55 g carbohydrate, 7 g fat, 0.6 g saturated fat, 3.4 g monounsaturated fat, 2.5 g polyunsaturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 8.3 g fiber, 53 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 20 percent.
Breakfast Tofu Burrito
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 cup soft tofu, crumbled (firm tofu cam be substituted)
- 1/2 cup egg substitute (or use 1 large egg beaten with 2 egg whites, if desired)
- 1/4 cup salsa (mild or hot)
- 1/4 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 2, 9-inch multigrain or whole wheat flour tortillas
- Garnish (Optional)
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fat free sour cream
- Add canola oil to medium nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Sauté onions, bell pepper, and tofu for about 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in the egg substitute and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until eggs are cooked throughout (1-2 minutes). Turn off heat and stir in the salsa and cheese. Cover pan and let it sit 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soften the tortillas by warming them in the microwave on high for 30 seconds or in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
- Spoon half the egg mixture into the center of one of the flour tortillas and roll up like a burrito. Repeat with remaining tortilla. Garnish each serving with sliced avocado and a dollop of sour cream if desired.
Makes 2 burritos
275 calories, 16 g protein, 30 g carbohydrate, 9.6 g fat, 2.4 g saturated fat, 10 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 570 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 31 percent.
Creamy Banana Walnut Oatmeal
Prep time: 3 minutes
- 1 cup fat-free skim or 1% low-fat milk
- 2 packets instant oatmeal
- 1/2 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped walnuts
1. In a small bowl, combine milk and packets of oatmeal.
2. Microwave on high for 1 to 2 minutes until steaming hot but not boiling.
3. Stir until creamy.
4. Stir in mashed banana.
5. Garnish with walnuts and serve.
Per serving: 370 calories, 17 g protein, 61 g carbohydrate, 2.5 g fat (0 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 25% Daily Value of calcium, 10 mg sodium.