Fresh Asparagus Soup
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place asparagus and onion in a saucepan with 1/2 cup vegetable broth. Bring the broth to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- Reserve a few asparagus tips for garnish. Place remaining vegetable mixture in an electric blender and puree until smooth.
- Melt butter in the pan that was used for simmering the asparagus and onions. Stir while sprinkling flour, salt, and pepper into the butter. Do not let the flour brown. Allow the mixture to cook only 2 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth and increase the heat. Continue stirring until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Stir the vegetable puree and milk into the saucepan. Whisk yogurt into the mixture, followed by lemon juice. Stir until heated through, then ladle into bowls. Garnish with reserved asparagus tips. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Garbanzos with Fennel
- 1 1/2 cups dry garbanzo beans
- 10 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 pounds fresh fennel bulbs, trimmed and chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh shelled green peas
- Place the garbanzo beans in a pot with enough water to cover, and soak 8 hours, or overnight. Drain and rinse.
- In a large pot, stir together the soaked beans and vegetable stock. Mix in 2 cloves minced garlic and the red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 45 minutes, or until beans are tender.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place the remaining garlic, tomatoes, and basil in the skillet, and cook 2 minutes, or just until the basil is wilted. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Mix the fennel and onions into the pot with the garbanzo beans. Season with salt. Continue cooking 15 minutes. Mix in the tomatoes, basil, and peas, and continue cooking 5 minutes, until peas are tender. Serve hot.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 anchovy fillets, drained
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound tilapia fillets
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- 4 cups iceberg lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 6 pita breads, cut in half
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, Italian dressing, feta cheese and anchovies. Season with cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt. Mix until well blended, then set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the tilapia fillets in the skillet, and season with lemon pepper, salt and cayenne. Fry until browned on each side, and fish flakes easily with a fork, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Warm pita breads in the toaster or in the microwave to soften. Open from the cut side to make pockets. Fill pita bread halves with lettuce, onion, and tilapia fillets, then spoon in some of the feta cheese sauce. Serve and enjoy!