This is a very popular potluck recipe in some areas of the United States. Now you have a lighter version to bring, and no one will be the wiser.
- 8 cups of shredded Romaine or green leaf lettuce
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms or carrots
- 1 1/2 cups canned kidney or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas (run cold water over them in a strainer to partially thaw)
6 tablespoons light Miracle Whip® (or other light mayo)
6 tablespoons light or nonfat sour cream
6 tablespoons low-fat milk or fat-free half-and-half
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons crumbled oregano leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 cup, packed, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup less-fat bacon bits (optional)
1. Assemble the first five layers in a 9×13-inch glass dish.
2. In a separate bowl, beat dressing ingredients together with wire whisk. Spread over the top layer in the glass dish with a spatula.
3. Sprinkle cheese and bacon bits (if desired) evenly over the top of salad. Cover with plastic wrap and keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Per serving: 115 calories, 7 g protein, 12 g carbohydrate, 4.5 g fat, 1.6 g saturated fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 247 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 35%.
Holiday Pear Pecan Salad
This salad is crunchy thanks to the pears, apples, and celery. The dried fruit and nuts make it festive.
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces (or substitute walnut pieces)
- 3 diced pears (such as red Bartlett or Anjou), ripe but still crisp
- 1 large crisp apple, like Granny Smith or Fuji, diced
- 1 1/2 cups celery, sliced on a diagonal
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (or dried cherries)
- 1/3 cup Apple Cider Dressing (instructions below)
For Apple Cider Dressing:
- Blend 1 1/2 tablespoons of maple butter (at room temperature) with 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and then stir in 1/4 cup apple cider. If it doesn’t blend well, microwave on high briefly, and then stir.
- To toast nuts, add to small nonstick frying pan and cook, stirring often, over medium heat until lightly brown and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Add diced pears and apples, sliced celery, and dried cranberries to serving bowl. Add apple cider dressing; toss gently. Sprinkle toasted nuts over the top and serve.
8 servings of 3/4 cup each, or 6 servings of 1 cup each
Per serving: Per serving: 145 calories, 1.5 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat, 0.4 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 3.2 g fiber, 28 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 28%.
Red Leaf, Pear and Walnut Salad
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- 10 cups rinsed and well-drained red leaf lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup walnut pieces (or coarsely chopped), toasted
- 3 pears, peeled, cored, and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
1. Add vinegar, apple juice, canola oil, Dijon mustard, and honey to food processor or blender and pulse until well-combined. Stir in poppy seeds and add salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Reserve 1/4 cup of the dressing and set aside.
2. Add red leaf lettuce and walnuts to large bowl, drizzle the remaining dressing over the top, and toss to coat well. Divide the lettuce among eight individual salad plates or bowls. Add pears to the large bowl and toss them with the reserved 1/4 cup dressing. Spoon pears evenly over the eight salads.
Per serving: 187 calories, 3.5 g protein, 16.5 g carbohydrate, 12.5 g fat (1 g saturated fat, 5.5 g monounsaturated fat, 6 g polyunsaturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 68 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 60%.
You’ll get plenty of vitamin A and C, from the spinach, oranges, and strawberries, when you have a serving of this salad.
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup orange segments or sliced nectarines or peaches (peeled)
- 1 cup fresh sliced or halved strawberries
- 4 tablespoons ‘lite’ or reduced-calorie Italian dressing or lite raspberry vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons roasted sunflower seeds
1. Toss first four ingredients together.
2. Sprinkle sunflower seeds on top.
3. Spoon into four salad bowls and enjoy!
Per serving: 96 calories, 3 g protein, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fat (0.2 g saturated fat, 0.4 g monounsaturated fat, 2 g polyunsaturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 135 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 28%.
Tomato and Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1 1/4 cups fresh tomatoes
- 8 ounces package fat-free cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons blue cheese
- Several lettuce leaves
- 1 onion, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A handful parsley
1. Arrange a bed of lettuce and place sliced tomatoes on top.
2. Mix cream cheese and crumbled blue cheese; add grated onion, salt, pepper. Use as a dressing for the tomatoes and garnish with parsley.
Per serving: 115 calories, 11.8 g protein, 5 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat, 206 mg calcium. Calories from fat: 39%.