This fruit salad has a nice blend of flavors from the fruit and the vanilla-cinnamon topping. The toasted almonds add crunch.
- 3 cups strawberry halves
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 2 cups seedless grapes (red or green)
- 8 ounce container vanilla yogurt (any brand or type)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds (sliced, slivered, or chopped)*
- Add strawberries, blueberries, bananas and grapes to a large bowl and toss gently to blend. Divide the fruit into 8 individual salad bowls.
- Add yogurt, cinnamon, and vanilla extract together in a 4-cup measure and stir to blend. Drizzle evenly over each fruit salad serving and sprinkle each with a tablespoon of toasted almonds. Serve!
* NOTE: to toast almonds, place in single layer in a nonstick frying pan and lightly brown over medium heat, stirring frequently. Let cool before using.
Per serving: 153 calories, 4 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g fat, .6 g saturated fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 3.3 g fiber, 23 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 23%.
Creamy Fruit Salad
This recipe is rich in vitamin A and vitamin C (plus some calcium from the yogurt and some vitamin E if you use the almonds).
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup diced cantaloupe or mango
- 1/2 cup (or a 6-ounce container) lemon or vanilla low-fat yogurt
- Dash ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chopped or sliced roasted almonds, or reduced-fat granola (optional
1. Toss yogurt with fruit in medium-size bowl. Top with cinnamon.
2. Sprinkle with chopped or sliced almonds or reduced-fat granola, if desired.
Per serving: 115 calories, 4 g protein, 24 g carbohydrate, 1.2 g fat (0.5 g saturated fat, 0.3 g monounsaturated fat, 0.2 g polyunsaturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 44 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 9%.
Tropical Fruit Salad
Bring a taste of the tropics to your fruit salad with this recipe.
- 20-ounce can pineapple chunks canned in juice
- 2 kiwi, peeled, halved and sliced
- 2 cups strawberries, quartered
- 1 large banana, sliced
- 1 papaya or mango, peeled and cubed (or substitute an 11-ounce can of mandarin oranges, drained)
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest or peel
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup unsweetened or sweetened shredded coconut (optional)
1. Drain pineapple chunks, and reserve 1/4 cup of the pineapple juice.
2. Add pineapple chunks, kiwi, strawberries, banana, and papaya or mango to large serving bowl.
3. Put 1/4 cup pineapple juice, lime peel, lime juice and honey in a 2-cup measure and whisk together until nicely blended. Drizzle over the salad, and toss to coat the fruits well. Sprinkle coconut over the top before serving, if desired.
About 7 cups
Per cup: 101 calories, 1.2 g protein, 25 g carbohydrate, 0.6 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 4 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 5%.