- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 leeks, bulb only, sliced into rings
- 1 onion, sliced
- 5 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large stock pot melt butter over low heat. Add leeks and onion, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Add thyme, marjoram, bay leaf and stir well. Cover pot and continue to cook for 12 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook, partially covered for 30 minutes.
- Puree soup in blender or food processor and cool.
- Prior to serving add cream. If you are serving this soup warm you need to reheat the soup slowly so that the cream does not change consistency.
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced potatoes
- 2 1/3 cups chicken stock
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/8 cups heavy whipping cream
- Gently sweat the chopped leeks and the chopped onion in butter or margarine until soft, about 8 minutes. Do NOT let them brown.
- Add potatoes and stock to the saucepan. Salt and pepper to taste; do not overdo them! Bring to the boil, and simmer very gently for 30 minutes.
- Puree in a blender or food processor until very smooth. Cool. Gently stir in the cream before serving.