Even though liposuction is one of the most popular procedures in the country, there are still a lot of misconceptions about the procedure itself, and who can benefit from it. Below are some of the most common myths about liposuction, and the truth about them.
- Liposuction is a Method of Weight Loss- If you want to lose weight, liposuction is not really the solution for you. Liposuction is more of a contouring procedure than a weight loss procedure. It removes extra fat deposits that won’t go away with diet and exercise, but liposuction is best-suited for people within 30 percent of the desired weight.
- Liposuction Treats Cellulite – Cellulite is not removed by liposuction, though the liposuction procedure may make cellulite less visible.
- Liposuction Isn’t Surgery – If you undergo a liposuction procedure, you will receive either general anesthesia or heavy sedation. It takes up to a year for final results to appear, as swelling subsides, and you’ll need about a week before returning to daily activities. You’ll have to take about four weeks off from strenuous activities like exercise.
- Liposuction is Just for Women Liposuction was the fourth most popular cosmetic procedure in 2013, and that’s thanks to liposuction for men and women. Men and women vary in the location where they typically get liposuction, but there are still plenty of men out there getting the procedure. Women usually target their hips and thighs, while men usually go for stomach liposuction.
- Liposuction Results Are Magic and Permanent Your liposuction results should be long-lasting, but unfortunately they will not last forever. The longevity of your results will require work on your part, however, as weight gain will negate the results of your liposuction procedure.
Now that you understand these common myths about liposuction, you can make the decision of whether or not it’s the right procedure for you. Your physician can discuss with you the best ways to lose weight, and give you an idea of what would be best for your body. Learn more at this link.