- If a thick middle is your problem area, remember that jackets or shirts with hems at your midsection can make a boxy shape look chunkier. Choose jackets that are hip length (or longer). Just say no to bulky shoulder pads and yes to dropped shoulders. A smart choice for fabric is figure-skimming slinky knit.As for tops, a wrap-around style blouse nips in the waist where it meets, resulting in an hourglass look. Look for a sash to tie at the middle — it will also cinch your waist area. A monotone suit with a nipped waist is ideal for your shape.
Quick Tip: When jacket shopping, you can create the illusion of a waist with a curved shape or a belted back.
- Swimsuit season strikes fear in the heart of many women, but it can be particularly daunting for those of us with generous hips and thighs. A plunging neckline such as a halter-style, one-piece suit will detract attention up and away from problem areas. A two-tone suit with the lighter color up top will have a similar effect.Quick Tip: Brave enough to bare more? A high-cut bottom will give the illusion of longer (and therefore slimmer) legs.
- If you have wide hips, choose a wide collared coat as it will draw the eye up from the hip area. A coat that flares slightly will skim past the hips and thighs, concealing bumps and bulges.If you’re skirt shopping, check out styles with ruffled hems or that flare slightly at the bottom (A-line skirts are a do). Dresses with shirring at the bodice can also slenderize hips.
Quick Tip: A boat neck creates a horizontal line and broadens your shoulders, making yours hips look more narrow.
- You can minimize your bust area with cross-over style tees and tanks and wrap-style tops. Ponchos and poncho-style tops are all the rage this fall and they’re perfect for detracting attention away from fuller breasts.An unzipped hoodie or open cardigan creates a vertical line, lengthening the neckline and torso.
Quick Tip: Scoop neck tees with their deep, wide neckline work to break up an ample chest area.
- An empire-style top will bring focus to the bust and away from a noticeable belly. Shift dresses slim your waistline. Skirts and dresses cut on the bias are great for taming the tummy area.Wearing a slender belt around your waist over a tunic or shift will visually cinch it in. Blouson style dresses may seem like the perfect cover-up, but actually they can have the opposite effect on some shapes, so try before you buy!
Quick Tip: Remember, extra-long necklaces create a leaner line on your entire top half, resulting in a slimmer look.