As the body ages, joints stiffen, age spots appear on the skin, neck and back pain becomes commonplace, problems with insomnia arise, and colds and flues occur more frequently. Is it possible to treat all of these accumulating conditions? How can individuals slow down the aging process, realistically? There are the exact health benefits of sauna use. Through stimulating circulation, calming the nerves, and promoting natural detoxification, sauna helps to improve immunity and treat common age-related ailments. It is not a magic key to immortality, but the therapeutic benefits of a sauna are well worth the experience.
The Power of Sauna Detoxification
Sauna detoxification is a powerful anti-aging tool. During a sauna, the body is exposed to an increased level of heat and moisture. This environment encourages the healthy release of toxins through sweating. Toxins build-up in the body over time, accumulating in fatty tissue, joints, and even the skeletal system. This disturbs normal functioning of cells, potentially affecting whole body systems and speeding the aging process.
Anything from a diet consisting of processed foods to environmental pollutants can contribute to this waste build-up. Signs of a need to purify include joint pain, unexplained headaches, chronic respiratory issues, reoccurring digestive problems, acne, bad breath, body odor, and lethargy. The cleansing benefits of sauna use can help prevent and treat conditions ranging from asthma to arthritis. Sweating relieves overburdened kidneys, by quickly and efficiently removing toxic material. It leaves one feeling restored and rejuvenated. Skin will improve, blood flow will become more efficient, and breathing will become easier.
Soothing Sauna Health Benefits
Sitting in a sauna, inhaling the warm steamy air, gently massaging the feet and hands, and sipping hot tea, is remarkably soothing. It calms the nervous system and eases tension. This is a great way to relieve minor aches and pains due to stress, and to bring the mind to a state of calm. It is a designated time away from the world and its worries, to focus on well-being. Regular sauna use will help with insomnia, chronic stress, and high blood pressure.
Tips for Maximizing the Benefits of Sauna Use
To optimize the sauna experience follow these simple tips:
- Stay in sauna for five to ten minutes at a time, with a maximum of two sessions for each sauna.
- Rest for ten minutes after sitting in the sauna.
- Drink hot tea during or while resting to help lower body temperature. Peppermint tea will increase the sauna detoxification benefits as this herb encourages the release of toxins through the skin.
- If desired, rub an aromatherapy massage oil, made from five drops of lavender, jasmine, sandalwood, or other relaxing essential oil and two ounces of jojoba oil. Do not put lotion or other heavy substances onto the skin.
- Use a warm shower, followed by a cool shower after sauna, to maximize the benefits of hot and cold therapy for circulation.
- Eat lightly before and after a treatment. Avoid alcohol, cigarettes, and caffeine.
There are so many health benefits of sauna use, it is difficult not to take advantage of such an enjoyable, inexpensive, and effective anti-aging therapy. If on any prescription medication, or if concerned about a preexisting health condition, consult a doctor before trying use.