- 1 can (16 oz) low-sodium cut green beans, drained
- 1 can (about 15 oz) low-sodium red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can (about 16 oz) low-sodium garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 onion (small), sliced and separated into rings
- Salad greens
- Grated peel of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2/3 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
1. In a jar with a lid, combine the lemon peel, lemon juice, and water with the dressing mix; shake well.
2. Add oil and shake well again.
3. In a large bowl, combine the beans and onion; pour dressing over and mix well.
4. Cover and chill. Serve on salad greens.
Per serving: Calories 194, fat 1g, calories from fat 5%, cholesterol 0 mg, fiber 10 g, sodium 1,036 mg, protein 9 g.
Farmer’s Market Pasta Salad
Feel free to add or substitute ingredients to incorporate the items you find this weekend at your farmer’s market.
- About 8 cups cooked, drained, whole wheat blend pasta (rotini or penne)
- 1/2 cup pesto (fresh or frozen pesto from the supermarket)
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup finely diced bell pepper (use yellow, red, or orange for a color contrast)
- 3 cups lightly cooked and cooled, in-season veggies (zucchini or carrot slices, broccoli or cauliflower florets, green beans, or whatever veggie looks good)
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts* (optional)
- Add pasta to large serving bowl along with the pesto, diced tomato, bell pepper, and in-season vegetables. Toss to blend well.
- Sprinkle the toasted pine nuts over the top if desired and serve. If not serving immediately, cover well and keep refrigerated until needed.
- *To toast pine nuts, just add to small nonstick frying pan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until they are lightly brown.
Per serving: 370 calories, 16 g protein, 58 g carbohydrate, 11 g fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 6 mg cholesterol, 6-10 g fiber (depending on whether your pasta is partial or full whole wheat), 171 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 25%.
Salad on a Stick with Honey Mustard and Cilantro Lime Dressing
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup fresh vegetables, cut into 1-inch chunks (suggestions: bell peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, tomato (cherry or grape), radish, and mushrooms)
- 1-1 1/2 ounces of low-fat cheddar cheese, cut into cubes
- Honey Mustard Yogurt Dressing (see ‘Cold sauces’ recipes)
- Cilantro Lime Yogurt Dressing (see ‘Cold sauces’ recipes)
1. Alternate vegetables and cheese cubes on skewer.
2. To create the salad, use leaf lettuce or spinach leaves and ribbon around vegetables.
Per serving of salad only:
90 calories, 11 g protein, 4 g carbohydrate, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 20% Daily Value calcium, 260 mg sodium.
Per serving of honey mustard dressing only:
30 calories, 1 g protein, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fat (0 g saturated fat), 0.5 mg cholesterol, 4% Daily Value calcium, 240 mg sodium.
Per serving of cilantro lime dressing only:
16 calories, 1 g protein, 2 g carbohydrate, 0 g fat, 0.5 mg cholesterol, 5% Daily Value calcium, 70 mg sodium.