More and more of recent competent scientific studies and researches have been demonstrating that common assumption about negative effects of sweet foods on our dental health is actually not always true. In particular, it is believed that such sweet and sticky food as raisins can cause plague formation and damage our dental health to a great extent. However, it turned out that regular consumption of raisins can not be linked to any serious dental problems.
A group of scientists at University of Illinois at Chicago, USA, and a specialist at Kristianstad University and Sahlgrenska Academy at Göteborg University, Sweden, conducted a series of the experiments to investigate the consequences of regular consumption of raisins and cornflakes with raisins on dental health of young children. The trials involved 20 children 7-11 year old, and it was proven that eating raisins and products containing raisins does not result in any plague formation or even dental health worsening.
The scientists say that the sweetness of raisins is linked to a high content of fructose, not sucrose. It is true that usually the foods similar to the taste and consistency of raisins is associated with dental plaque and other problems. However, the remainings of raisins can be removed or washed away from our tooth enamel very effectively. That is why there should be no limits imposed on consuming raisins from the point of dental health protection. It is a known fact that eating raisins is connected to a variety of valuable health benefits, such as stronger immunity, lower chances of suffering from insomnia and lower risks of having heart disease.